Monday, October 11, 2010

Pictures of the first stages of the mini 3D rig




So here are a few pictures of the rig as it was when I shot most of the stuff in the clip in the previous post. As you can see it is tiny, it weights about 2.5 kgs or 5lbs I´d say, which is pretty much like a handheld camcorder, but it is not very stable, even if well balanced, with the handles on each side (you can notice that in the clip.

Setting up the parallax takes me some time, I have put marks at positions I use most. I pretty much set the rig with the lenses, choose a parallax distance, and do all my shot in accordance: (ie: the distance at which I´ll keep my subject(s) at...)

6 comments:

Carlo Macchiavello said...

it' very interesting diy rig, what kind of beam do you use? where to buy it?

bastien said...

gooel beam splitter on line and you´ll find a whole bunch of supliers in the US, the trick is to find the size you want. I paid 70 dollars for it, while I they asked more than 200 dollars for a custom made size. This mirror is 18cm by 10 cm.

Craig said...

Good on you for the bottom-up mirror-- avoiding dust (as front-surface mirrors are a PIA to clean). Counter-weight?
What kind of data rate can you get or need for 1080i?

chute2thrill said...

Like your system curious if you tried side by side I am using twin GH2 cameras still trying to dial them in but I am using side by side as my subjects are often over 100 meters away and a bigger stereo base makes sense too me maybe I am wrong?
I am filming Extreme Snowmobiling in difficult enviroment and transporting a beam splitter rig is not very easy

underwaterimages said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
underwaterimages said...

which company did you get your glass from?